Saturday, February 19, 2011

Some things I've been working on at the job....

All photos in the "Sheltered Life" editorial piece taken by Jonathan Timmes http://www.jonathantimmes.com/ -- He's really great!

I learned sooo much while working on this piece. Before I had never really worked with photos in my layouts so I was excited about the opportunity and challenge. I also learned a bit about combining typefaces. I had a lot of fun with that on the 2nd to last page of this article.

When I began putting this together I had sooo many ideas I wanted to use and many weren't working together at all. I hadn't established a direction for it and this showed in the early stages of the layout. The other designers helped me see this and I began to understand how I can bring things together into a cohesive piece by choosing a few styles to carry throughout. I also had to figure out what styles/elements would best provide tone and visually tell this story to readers. Very thankful for this project.






I enjoyed making the Illustrations for this piece. My struggle with this one was using color that would be appropriate for the subject matter -- pro bono work and lawyers.





Illustration done for Light Pollution editorial piece. These spreads are also on my blog, a little ways down.

2 comments:

Carrie Berry said...

Ashleigh, you are so talented. Did you personally do the watercolor backgrounds on the homeless article? really nice warm contrast to the harshness of the topic. I just thought it was gorgeous. I really am in awe. Thanks for sharing!

Carrie Berry said...

hey, do you know if the people written about in the homeless article are the same ones that were kicked out just the other day? so sad!